Friday, March 16, 2012

A Communication Failure or Success-- You Decide

"I think I just had a conference with a parent and I don't even teach their kid!"

I replied, "How did you let that happen?"

"When she came in I couldn't really understand her so I just faked it for a few minutes thinking I'd figure out who she was.  By the time I realized that I didn't really teach her son it was too late to say anything."

Interesting I thought.  "So what did you tell her?"

"I just told her that her son was doing fine."

"Is he?"

"I don't know, but I've got to call Kevin to make sure."

This actually happened to a co-worker years ago.  I kind of felt sorry for him, because I can kind of see how you could get yourself into that situation.  He shared a classroom with the student's real teacher, so the parent showed up to the wrong place for a conference.  There was a language barrier involved, so the teacher tried to be polite.  By the time he figured out what was going on he was already in too deep to back out.  So, he tried to ask questions and said some general things to let the parent know the student was doing well in his class.

Luckily, he called the student's real teacher that night.  The real teacher told him that the student was a good kid in class and was earning an "A" so far.

All's well that ends well...
...I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment